About Ben Gough Family Foundation
It’s often the first step that demands the most courage.
The Ben Gough Family Foundation is unleashing each generation’s potential to help communities thrive.
We support positive change
The Ben Gough Family Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the Ben Gough Family Office. Like Tailorspace—the investment arm of the Ben Gough Family Office, the Foundation invests in people and inspired projects that demonstrate leadership, accountability and transparency. Our focus is on supporting those who show a deep passion and unwavering commitment to having a positive impact at an individual and community level.
Through considered and strategic giving we aspire to shape the lives of our future leaders and to grow the future of the Canterbury region. We measure outcomes, seek accountability and inspire leadership in all we do and with all in whom we invest.
Our funding priorities
We provide opportunities for individuals to strengthen their self-awareness and confidence so they, in return, can contribute to the community through improved leadership.
Competition and Innovation
We foster high performance in the competitive arenas of sport and business.
Well-being and health
We seek to strengthen awareness and skills to fortify the well-being of young people.
Leadership and communities
We support leading organisations in Christchurch that bring cultural vibrancy to the life of the city.
We are currently not seeking proposals, but individuals or organisations that meet our funding priorities may submit a brief description for review (1-2 pages max). Please include the issue to be addressed, approach and rationale for it, budget for implementation and desired outcomes.
Making a measurable difference
The initiatives we support include:
- Takere—Outward Bound’s Leadership programme for senior students in Canterbury selected by their schools because they show potential and commitment at school. These students do not otherwise have the financial resources to attend an opportunity like Outward Bound.
- Outward Bound and Spirit of Adventure scholarships for high school students.
- “I am Valued”—this 4 year old values-based pilot programme for developing well-being run by Te Whare Awhero Counselling Services in Hornby is being integrated as a core component of government’s Mana Ake –Stronger for Tomorrow initiative promoting wellbeing and positive mental health for children in primary and intermediate schools across Canterbury.
- Christchurch Art Gallery TOGETHER campaign—brought Ron Mueck’s chicken/man into the permanent collection where it quickly became a top favourite of visitors to the Gallery.
- ACHIEVE AOTEAROA—adapting the successful ACHIEVE UK programme, Prince’s Trust New Zealand is piloting this NZ specific programme in Canterbury to support young people who are at risk of underachieving at school or college, to engage with and succeed in education so that they may become a part of the earning economy.
- High Performance—supporting a range of talented individuals:
– NZ flag-bearer at the International Future Problem Solvers competition;
– NZ’s 7th in the world U20 Men’s Shot Put competitor in 2019;
– An outstanding female track cyclist winning gold at the 2019 Junior Track Championships and 4 titles at the 2019 Junior Oceania track cycling championships.
- Kilmarnock Enterprises—investing our dollars to work with an organisation achieving social, environmental and entrepreneurial impact. Click on the Impact Badge to learn more.
10 Years of Outward Bound
and Spirit of Adventure
For over ten years the Ben Gough Family Foundation has funded scholarships for high school students to attend Outward Bound and Spirit of Adventure courses to learn the skills that build courage and confidence. We want everyone to know that they can be leaders.
Listen to some of their stories about what they gained from their experiences.